Mold has been around forever because mold is a naturally occurring microscopic fungi that can be found almost anywhere.
Here are a few key years regarding the history of mold awareness.
- 2001 Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Guidelines for Schools and Commercial Buildings (www.epa.gov)
- 2003 OSHA Safety and Health Information Bulletin
- 2003 IICRC Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Mold Remediation (S520) (www.IICRC.org/s520info.shtml )
- 2006 National Indoor Mold Society is formed (http://afamerica.com/nims/)
- 2008 IICRC Standard and Reference Guide (S520) 2nd Edition is released
- 2009 EPA Designates September as National Indoor Toxic Mold Awareness Month
Litigation Prior to 1993 Was Limited:
- Initial cases were:
- Faulty construction
- Lawsuits are in state and federal court
- Regulatory Organizations such as State Health Agencies, State Attorney Generals and the outcome of litigation are defining the future of how we conduct mold mitigation and remediation and how mold liability is handled.
SERVPRO of Savannah requires that our techinicans become certified throught the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). The IICRC S520 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Mold Remediation.
Call SERVPRO of Savannah today for any and all mold questions or concerns. 912-234-9690