Harmful Waste: Proper Handling & Safety
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies nationwide, SERVPRO Professionals offer fast, reliable biohazard cleanup and restoration services to residential and commercial property owners.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
If you encounter harmful waste, such as sewage or blood borne pathogens, here are some helpful tips on what to do until help arrives:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
- Attempt cleanup of any kind.
- Touch or handle items that might be contaminated with bodily fluids.
- Eat, drink, smoke, apply cosmetics or handle contact lenses in affected areas.
If exposed to harmful waste, OSHA recommends a post-exposure medical evaluation. Consult your local health department or physician.