Every Second Counts: Plan Two Ways Out
The theme for this year’s Fire Prevention Week is “Every Second Counts: Plan Two Ways Out”. Fire Prevention Week is designed to teach people the importance of home escape planning and practice.
A home escape plan should include:
• Working smoke alarms on every level of the home, in every bedroom and near all sleeping areas
• 2 ways out of every room
• A clear path to an outside meeting location
Here are 6 tips for coming up with your home fire escape plan:
1. Draw a map of your home with all members of your household, making sure to show two exits from each room and a path to the outside for each exit
2. Have a practice fire drill twice a year, practicing both ways out each time
3. Teach children how to escape
4. Make sure that the number of your home is clearly shown so that the fire department can easily find you
5. Close doors behind you as you leave to help slow down the spread of smoke, heat and fire
6. Once you get outside, stay outside
Having a fire escape plan ready and keeping these tips in mind will truly help in the event of a fire. And remember, “Every Second Counts: Plan Two Ways Out”.