Heating Hazards - Savannah Fire Safety Tips
The winter season is here. Even though Savannah usually has mild winters, there is still a need for heating homes or businesses at some point during the winter months.
Remember these tips when heating your Savannah home or business:
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or a portable space heater. Have a three foot "kid-free" zone around open fires and space heaters.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be completely cooled before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from the home.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Always us the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer's instructions.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
Should you suffer fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Savannah at 912-234-9690! Let us help you make it "Like it never even happened."